Which is wrong I know, because that's not the only way people could help each other right?
It's actually the least dignifying way to help another person and in the end could also be the worst thing you could ever do.
|CC Photo from Flickr: BetsyWeber|
We hear stories like
- Oprah giving away 275 cars to her audience.
- Bill Gates donating billions upon billions of dollars to the poor
- A man donating everything in a Kmart to the poor
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie donating money to tornado victims
- Warren Buffet donating $10 Billion
There are more to be sure, and these are all good. But what about us ordinary folks and members of the I Have No Money club? Does that mean that we can't help anybody because we don't have money to give away?
I thought long and hard to come up with this list, and maybe you could add more. I know that some of them may sound pretty obvious, but you know, sometimes the most obvious things in life are the ones that are ignored by people the most.
Most of these are pretty self explanatory so feel free to interpret on your own. If you can add something here, please do so via the comments.
101 Ways to Help People Even If You Don't Have Money
1. Sing a song for someone with your lovely voice
2. Help carry stuff for old people.
3. Take the time to be polite.
4. Help people with what you know.
5. Take the time to listen to people's problems.
6. Give away time.
7. Like someone's Facebook post or +1 it in Google Plus.
8. Don't play your music so loud specially if you live in a condo.
9. Don't let your dog poo on someone else's yard.
10. Pick up your dog's poo.
11. Be nice on Internet forums
12. Compliment somebody randomly
14. Save someone's life
15. Sit with someone lonely during lunch
16. Share an umbrella when it's raining
17. Mow somebody's yard for free
18. Grow flowers and give them away
19. Drop encouraging quotes at people's doorsteps
20. Make your boss happy
21. Let another person sit on your chair in the bus
22. Let another person take that taxi
23. Let a rushing person first through the door or the grocery line
24. Take pictures of flowers and send them to random people anonymously
25. Give away your old clothes
26. Write something that will change people's lives
27. Write software that makes people be good to each other
28. Be less cynical about the world
29. Stop smoking near other people
30. Stop taking drugs.
31. Stop being an ass
32. Like someone's youtube video even if the person's singing is horrible
33. Call the cops when your neighbor is being robbed
34. Help someone who tripped up
35. Take a bath
36. Introduce people to other people who could help if you can't
37. Stop spraying graffiti specially if your "art" isn't pretty
38. Drive carefully
39. Tell your children something good about them
40. Use deodorant on your underarms
41. Visit your grandma
42. Plant a tree
44. Return the book you borrowed from the library
45. Compliment your wife in front of your kids
46. Tell someone who works in a business establishment that they're doing a great job
47. Don't litter the park. Recycle
48. Let other people finish talking even if you don't agree with them.
49. Don't raise your voice even if you are angry.
50. Don't buy things from companies that use slave labor or pay their workers poorly
51. Spread good news rather than bad
52. Speak the truth with wisdom
53. Lie only when absolutely necessary
54. Practice safe sex or better yet be faithful to one person
55. Don't use to many lights when you don't need them. Or use LED lights
56. Speak up against evil in a passionate way but at the same time, in a way that is sensitive
57. Park your car properly
58. Don't leave your hotel room in shambles
59. Return the things you borrowed, even the small ones.
60. Don't encourage the people who do wrong or evil.
61. Do your best to be an optimist
62. Don't be silent in the face of evil
63. When you're working - do your best and don't slack off
64. Don't have more kids than you can handle
65. Believe that life has a purpose and that purpose is helping others
66. Don't belittle people's beliefs even if you think it's wrong
67. Learn how to disagree
68. Educate yourself before complaining
69.When you do complain, do so with the sincerest intention of making sure that everybody gets what they deserve
70. Respect all people
71. Don't spread gossip
72. Never giggle at gossip
73. Never take something by force
74. Recognize that the government is only as good as the people who built it and not just who runs it
75. Always appreciate beauty in all its forms. Be sure to share everything that is beautiful
76. Keep your mind and body healthy.
77. Never stay idle - even if you don't have a job
78. Realize that just because something is there within your reach it isn't necessarily yours
79. If you're good at inventing things, don't invent them with plastic
80. Be happy with the success others
81. Always think about ways on how to make the world better
82. Don't pick through people's words and make them appear bad
83. Be true to your personal truths while keeping an open mind
84. Admit when you're wrong
85. Never call people names
86. Stay humble
87. Read through the whole blog post before commenting
88. Recognize that we are not entitled to everything
89. Help others find their own talents, their own way
90. Never envy
91. Never invade other people's privacy
92. Don't name drop
93. Always remember that what may be unimportant to you, may mean the world to another person
94. Choose your words when you speak
95. Help people reach their dreams with whatever you have
96. Learn to forgive and forget
97. Always deliver what you promised
98. Don't be sarcastic, even if the person deserved it
99. When you do correct people, do so discreetly
100. Never humiliate others for humor
101. If you ever find yourself with lots of money, learn that people can't always be helped with it.